Jammy Heart Cookies
These beautiful sugar cookies, filled with a layer of our scrumptious Rockin’ Raspberry Jam, are the perfect way to say ‘I love you’! They look fab but they’re actually very simple to put together – perfect for making with the kids for Mother’s Day. Of course, you could switch up the filling if you fancy – the cookies would also be delicious with our Lemon Curd.
Don’t forget, for this recipe you’ll need two heart-shaped cookie cutters, a big one and a smaller one.
Jammy Heart Cookies
- 110 g butter
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 210 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp In A Jam Rockin' Raspberry Jam
- To make the dough, first soften the butter, and then cream together with the icing sugar. Next, beat in the egg white, and finally add the plain flour and baking powder. You should end up with a soft, dry dough– you might need to knead it with your hands for a minute or so to bring it all together, but don’t knead it for any longer than that.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking parchment and roll it out (using the rolling pin over the top sheet of paper) to about 5mm thick, then place in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Take your dough out of the fridge and peel off the top layer of baking parchment – save it and use to line a baking tray, ready to put your cookies in the oven.
- Cut out 24 hearts with your large cookie cutter (you’ll probably need to cut some out, squidge all the remaining dough together, and roll it out again to cut the rest. You don’t need to chill it again – just try not to handle the dough more than necessary, so it stays cool). Then, with 12of those cookies, cut a smaller heart out of the middle to make your ‘window hearts’. You can bake these small hearts too, as mini cookies.
- Lay all your cookies carefully on baking trays lined with baking parchment, and pop in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. The cookies may brown ever so slightly in the oven but otherwise they won’t look particularly different – don’t worry, they are cooked!
- Cool the cookies on a wire rack, and then once they’re cold, spread each large heart with jam and sandwich a ‘window heart’ on top. Finish with a sprinkle of icing sugar.